Monday, February 21, 2011

A Good Story...

"Abstraction may make your head believe, but a good story, well told, will also make your kidneys believe, and your scalp and your tear ducts, your heart, and your stomach, the whole human being." -Tim O'Brien. I agree one million percent with what Tim O'Brien has to say in the above quote. A good story captures your attention, it pulls you in doesn't let you go until the story is finished. And when that story is over, you are yearning for more. In a good story, you cannot tell fact from fiction, you believe every bit of that story with every inch of your body. I believe that this is exactly what Tim O'Brien accomplished in his book, The Things They Carried. It took me up until I was about three quarters of the way done with this book to realize that it was fiction. I know that sounds somewhat pathetic, but it's true. I fully believed every part of this novel until Mrs. White reminded us all it was fiction. This story was so incredibly well-written and pure, that I believed every word of it.

"Forrest Gump” is the story of a man who overcomes numerous obstacles throughout different stages of his life and always seems to see the brighter side of things in the process."(http://www.exampleessays.com/viewpaper/75857.html) The movie, "Forrest Gump" is also an excellent example of a fantastic story. Even though this movie is purely fiction, the historical events that take place within in are very much true. When watching this movie, I believed everything that Forrest had to say and hung on his every word. I couldn't get enough. I had never seen this movie before watching it in English class. It has become one of my new favourite movies, and I can;y wait until I get a chance to see it again.

"And thats all I have to say about that." - Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump

:)

1 comment:

  1. Nice job...be careful, though, with what sources you use - maybe a professional review of film or some sort of professional critique might be better than a student's essay. Cite the author or if no author, cite the title, not the url.

    ReplyDelete